Zviad Kvachantiradze: we shall maintain close communication with our compatriots residing abroad due to various reasons
05 Feb 2019
“The role of the diasporas in development of their countries increase and I believe that we shall maintain close communication with our compatriots residing abroad due to various reasons. It is the position I share with my colleagues. So, we have introduced the new historical record to the new Constitution imposing a mandatory obligation to the state on maintenance of close links with our Diaspora”, - the Chair of the Diaspora and Caucasus Issues Committee, Zviad Kvachantiradze stated.
In this direction, the Committee schedules implementation of the projects in 2019 to ensure:
- Improvement of respective legal basis deriving from the diaspora interests;
- Consolidation of the communities and diasporas and their integration to Georgian state;
- Provision of effective cultural diplomacy by means of diasporas; close cultural-educational and intellectual links with Georgian communities;
- Maintenance of national identity for historical diasporas;
- Promotion of Georgia abroad;
- Enhancement of international cultural cooperation, promotion-protection of cultural and intellectual potential of the country;
- Active public diplomacy by the state by means of Georgian diaspora;
- Use of potential of Georgian diasporas in EU and NATO integration of Georgia;
- Protection of the political and civil rights and freedoms of Georgians abroad, facilitation to their education and business-making. Enactment of international cooperation in view of legal employment of Georgian citizens abroad;
- Attraction of foreign investments, enhancement of Georgian participation in international economic relations; increased participation of compatriots abroad in economic cooperation and tourism development.
The Committee considers expedient to make May 27 – the Diaspora Day this year of a qualitatively new format.
“We shall change the context of the diaspora forum, implying new format of relations for Georgian diaspora”.
The Committee hails youth engagement in diaspora projects and supports the projects: Be A Young Ambassador of Your Country; Camp of Future etc.